Mint Green Avocado Kale Smoothie



I wish I could have this smoothie for breakfast every day... no, wait: I can! Yay! (Well, as long as we get avocados, anyway; we grow our own kale and spinach pretty much all year round. ) I was bored with eating my greens, so I decided to drink them raw instead. Just to ensure a garden-fresh taste, I threw in some spearmint and lemon balm leaves from the pots on our patio. This smoothie is unusual but delicious, and full of alkalising and nutrient-dense greens. Don't let the fact you don't own a high speed blender put you off green smoothies; I made this one using a Magimix food processor- it just takes a little more time, that's all. This recipe makes one large green smoothie; I shared mine but could quite easily have polished off the lot.

Half a small, ripe Hass avocado
30g approx. (a large handful) fresh kale and/ or spinach
2 medium kiwis
4 dried dates, chopped
a small handful of fresh spearmint and lemon balm leaves
1 tab lemon juice
200ml water
  • If you have a high speed blender like a Vitamix or Blendtech, just throw everything in and you're done.
  • If, like us, you own a slower blender or a food processor, put in everything but the lemon juice and water and blend until you get a paste.
  • Add the lemon juice and water and keep it running until all those little dark green flecks get smaller and smaller and almost disappear. This might take a few minutes, but then you're done.





Comments

  1. looks good and healthy,but how does it taste like,is it that bitter as it has kale,would love to try this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. Actually it's not bitter at all- the mint, kiwi, dates and lemon give it a kind of fresh, green sweetness. I recommend using young, tender leaves as well, as they are not bitter. Hope you get to try and enjoy it :)

      Delete
  2. that's what I call a great start to the day!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment- feedback from you really helps me to decide what to post, and I love hearing from you- thanks :)

Popular Posts