15 ingredients to keep in your cupboard for those times when you just can't decide what to cook
|Some ingredients from ethnic groceries- spot the tahini and date syrup from the list!|
- Baking powder: because you never know when you may want to bake a cake...
- Bicarbonate of soda: good with lemon juice instead of baking powder on ekadasi days
- Tahini: very versatile; use in sweet or savoury sauces, icings, dips etc.
- Smoked paprika: great for when you want to liven something up with a different taste
- Miso: a good source of savoury gravy when you haven't time to make stock
- Dried fruits: use soaked or unsoaked in baking, salads etc.
- Smooth peanut butter: can be the basis of a savoury sauce, cookies or sweets
- Plain Almonds or cashews: use toasted, soaked or raw, ground, chopped or whole...
- Desiccated coconut: naturally sweet for baking, but also good in curries etc.
- Plain wholemeal flour: for baking, breads, pastry, batter- lots of stuff
- Agave or date syrup: just in case you want to make another batch of flapjacks...
- Gram (chickpea/ garbanzo) flour: good in pakora batter and to enrich vegeburgers/ loaves
- Dried beans: red kidney, butter beans, kala channa (dark chickpeas)
- Yeast extract: good to flavour pasty or pie fillings and as the basis of gravy
- Soy sauce: for stir-fry sauces or satay