|Comforting and warm without being stodgy, this gently spicy dal will ease the transition from Summer to Autumn.|
- Wash the dal and put in a saucepan with the water, salt, veggies, turmeric, chilli, ginger, bay leaves and cinnamon. If you are using chana dal, you may want to pre-soak it or use a pressure cooker to reduce the cooking time.
- Bring to the boil and simmer with the lid on.
- Meanwhile, gently heat the coconut oil and pop the mustard seeds. Remove from the heat and add the cumin, which should toast lightly just to release the aroma, but not scorch. Stir in the hing once the bubbling has stopped.
- Add the oil and spice mixture to the boiling dal- it will fizzle and splutter a little as it goes in.
- Continue to simmer with the lid off until the dal is soft.
- Lastly, stir in the garam masala, paprika and gour/ sugar. Make any adjustments to the seasoning.
- The dal is now ready!