Date and Apricot Slice- no added sugar
- Chop the dried fruit and simmer in the water until you get a thick, paste-like consistency suitable for spreading. (Add a little more water if necessary.) Mash coarsely with the back of a spoon and set aside.
- Meanwhile, rub in the margarine with the flour and oats. Set aside about 1/3 in a separate bowl.
- Add enough cold water to the remaining dough to make a pastry-like consistency, and press into a swiss roll/ baking tin (standard size). It may take a bit of work to get an even layer. It works out at about 2-3mm thick.
- Mix the desiccated coconut with the set aside mixture.
- Spread the fruit paste on top of the oat pastry
- Add a little water to the coconut mixture, so that it feels like crumble topping. Press down well on top of the fruit.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 180C, for 20-30mins, until the top is browned. Take care not to over-brown it.
- Cut into 12 bars and remove from tray when thoroughly cooled. As it is very crumby, I recommend wrapping each slice in clingfilm before storing- if they don't all get eaten immediately, that is!