Chocolate and Hazelnut Brownies- vegan and sugar-free
|Go ahead...take that second one without guilt!|
400g self-raising flour
4 tspss baking poder
4 tabs cocoa powder (not drinking chocolate, which contains powdered milk)
150g hazelnuts, crushed with a rolling pin
100g chopped stoned dates
3 tabs date syrup
400ml soya milk
159ml sunflower oil
2 tsps vanilla essence
- First, switch your oven on to 180C and prepare a large square baking tin. (If you use silicone lke I do, you just have to wet it. If you are using a conventional tin, I suspect it would be best to line it with oiled baking parchment.)
- Next prepare the date sweetener: simmer the dates with the water in a small sauxcepan until the water has been absorbed/ evaporated. Use a grinder or blender to whizz them into a coarse paste (some larger bits are okay), then stir in the date syrup.
- Mix the dry ingredients together, including the nuts.
- In a separate container, mix the soya milk, sunflower oil, vanilla essence and date paste.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and beat thoroughly for about 2 minutes.
- Put the mixture into the prepared tin (s); make it about 1.5m deep as it will rise as it cooks.
- Bake at 180C for about 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out dry and clean.
- When cool, turn out and cut into squares or rectangles.