Tarte au citron- vegan
300g wholemeal plain wheat flour
150g unhydrogenated vegan margarine
1 tab demerara sugar
6 lemons, juiced (make juice up to 300ml if necessary with water)
finely-grated lemon peel to decorate
5 1/2 tabs unrefined icing sugar
2 tsps lemon extract
100g unhydrogenated vegan margarine
2 tabs agar flakes
- First make the pastry case: rub the fat into the flour and sugar and mix to a dough with a little cold water.
- Roll out on a floured surface 3-4mm thick (not too thick)
- Line a greased flan dish/ shallow springform cake tin with the pastry and bake blind until crisp but not overbrowned at 200C.
- While the pastry case is in the oven, prepare the filling: mix the sugar and margarine with the lemon juice and lemon extract using a balloon whisk, then whisk in the agar flakes. Heat gently, stirring from time to time to dissolve the agar flakes. Let it simmer like this for 3-5minutes (or follow the instructions on the agar packet).
- To assemble, pour the filling into the cooked pastry case (it does not have to be completely cooled) and cool/ refridgerate until set. Mine turned out the consistency of lemon curd.
- Sprinkle with the grated lemon peel.
- Possible tweaks: Add ground almonds to the pastry and press into the bottom of a flan dish like cheesecake base. Or you could try adding the almonds to the filling mixture: I've seen some recipes which include this.You could even decorate the top with dark chocolate shavings. A sugar-free version could be made by substituting the sugar for agave nectar.