Zucchini walnut salad (suitable for ekadasi)
Sometimes it's nice to have a vegetable raw that you usually have cooked, and courgettes (zucchini) are no exception, We have rather a glut of them at the moment so I was thinking up new ways to use them and came up with this. It being an ekadasi day when I made this salad, the courgette ribbons were an excellent substitute for lettuce.
The recipe below makes enough for 4 servings as a side dish, or 2-3 as a main dish.
- Prepare the vegetables and apples and mix together in a bowl:
- Wash, top and tail the zucchini and shave into ribbons using a y-shaped peeler
- Peel and dice the cucumber
- Gently crush the walnut halves with a rolling pin
- Slice or dice the apples (do this last so they don't get the chance to go brown before you add the lemon juice)
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper, mixing well