Vegan Shepherd's Pie
This is an alternative recipe to my "Soya Shepherd's Pie" (26.1.11) which features nutritional yeast (my "Ingredient of the Month" in December) and chunky vegetables instead of beans with the TVP mince in the bottom layer. The quantities given here serve 8-10 hungry people as a main course.
2.225kg potatoes, chopped
300g celeriac and pumpkin (or carrot of you eat it), diced small
300g (dry weight) unflavoured TVP soya mince
1 tab brown rice miso
1 tab nutritional yeast flakes- or more if you like
300g fresh tomatoes, blended to a liquid
200ml soya milk
cold-pressed sunflower oil for frying
Plus seasalt, black pepper, dried herbs, paprika and hing to season.
- Precook the potatoes in the minimum of water
- Meanwhile, soak the TVP in 800ml water. When soft, stir in the miso, then add the blended tomatoes.
- Season the mixture
- Stir-fry the diced vegetables until soft, add to the TVP mixture and put into a large, fairly deep oven dish
- When the potatoes are well-cooked, drain if necessary and mash with the soya milk, a pinch of salt and the nutritional yeast.
- Spread the mash on top of the bottom layer and make into rough ridges (these will go crisp and brown when baked)
- Bake at 200C for 20-25 minutes or until heated thoroughly and browning on top.