|Barleycup brown sugar cake|
About half a packer of unsalted butter
an equal quantity of dark brown muscovado sugar
a little more Barleycup (to taste)
some walnut halves or flaked almonds for the topping
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add the oil and the soya milk, beating the mixture for about a minute.
- Bake in an 8-10" (approx.) dampened silicone mould/ oiled and floured cake tin in an oven preheated to 180C for about 20 minutes, or until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake emerges clean.
- Beat the butter and the muscovado sugar together thoroughly; the sugar will be lumpy unless you take time over it. Stir in the Barleycup.
- When the cake has cooled completely, spread the frosting on top and scatter with the nuts.
- If you want to make the cake even more special, you can double the quantities, make it in two tins and sandwich it together with more of the frosting, perhaps with some chopped nuts inside.