Festival Cake-eggless, can be vegan
|Festival cake: I used cherry jam here, but raspberry is equally good!|
just under half a 420g (normal size) jar of jam for topping
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C (mine is a fan oven, so adjust if necessary) and oil and flour/ dampen your cake mould or tin.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, coconut and baking powder in a large bowl.
- In a separate jug, combine the milk, oil and almond essence.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients and best well for about a minute. You should see some small air pockets forming as the baking powder gets to work.
- As soon as it is thoroughly mixed, put into the cake tin and bake for 20-30 minutes, checking with a thin skewer to see if it is cooked through. The top will brown slightly.
- When cold, turn out of the tin and spread with jam. finish by sprinkling some desiccated coconut on top. Instant party!