|This bright orange soup is flavoured with aromatic bay, star anise and celery seed|
|Homegrown pumpkins- the blue-grey ones have the firm orange flesh that makes this creamy soup|
- Gently saute the pumpkin, potato and ginger in the oil in a large pan.
- When coated in oil, add the star anise, hing, pepper and celery seed. Stir for about 1 minutes, ensuring the spices and veg don't stick to the bottom of the pan. By now, the spices should be starting to release their aromas.
- Add the water and throw in the bay leaves, salt, paprikas, cinnamon (if using) and thyme. Bring to a simmer and put the pan lid on.
- Simmer until the vegetables are soft, then remove the bay leaves and star anise and whizz in the blender until smooth and creamy.
- Adjust water and salt to your liking. (I prefer this soup thick and velvety.)