Vegan Thursdays: Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Roasted Fennel Sauce
|Sweet potato gnocchi with a creamy fennel sauce and a little vegan pesto|
|The finished gnocchi all ready to be boiled...|
- Cook the sweet potatoes by either baking in the oven or microwaving
- Scrape the flesh out of the skins and mash into a puree (which it will probably already be by this time anyway). Work in the flour and salt; the mixture will seem a little dry at first.
- Knead for a few minutes until you have a smooth dough you can handle.
- Shape by rolling the mixture into 4 long cylinders and cutting them into 1/2" lengths. Hold each one by the ends using your thumb and forefinger and use a fork to mark ridges on each side. It's worth taking time to get them as uniform as possible. The ridges, like those of pasta, are for catching the sauce.
- Set aside until you're ready to cook them.
- First roast the fennel in the oil for about 20 minutes at 200C. Set aside to cool a bit.
- Throw the fennel into your blender or food processor with the ground sunflower seeds, the seasonings and the plant milk.
- Stir in the lemon juice.
- Set aside until you're ready to heat it gently just before serving.
- Drizzle the pesto onto plates ready for the gnocchi.
- Drop the gnocchi into fast-boiling water. They will sink at first, then rise to the surface. They are done when they are all floating and heated through. (Takes just a couple of minutes.)
- Meanwhile, heat the sauce through gently.
- Drain the gnocchi and put on the plates on top of the pesto. Top with a generous dollop of fennel sauce.
|We had ours with roasted veggies and a green salad!|