|Who doesn't love crumbly, sweet fudge?|
300g sugar- use light brown soft for chocolate fudge and golden (unrefined) caster for the vanilla one
100g cacao butter
300ml soya milk
1-1/2 tsps natural vanilla essence (depends on the strength of the brand you use)
- Mix everything but the vanilla together in a sturdy pan. If you choose a shallow one that's slightly too big the whole boiling process won't take as long.
- Over a gentle heat, melt the sugar and cacao butter in so that everything is liquid.
- Bring to a rolling boil and stir constantly to avoid burning. It will take 15-20 minutes. Use the "soft ball" test to check if your fudge is ready by having a small container of iced water handy. When you drop a little fudge in, it should cling together to form a soft ball in the water. The colour will be darker than at the atart and the fudge will start to pull away from the sides of the pan as you stir.
- Remove from the heat and beat fpr a few minutes, to get that slightly grainy texture that all good fudge has. Stir in the vanilla.
- If making chocolate fudge, add 25g (or more) dark chocolate, broken up. (Make sure the fudge is not too hot when you add this.)
- Spread into a pan lined with baking parchment and leave for at least half an hour to set.
|This is the chocolate version; a little drier in texture, but heavenly all the same!|