Imam Bayaldi- Turkish-style stuffed aubergine
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp mixed spice
2 tsps dried oregano/ mixed herbs
1 large pinch of black pepper
2 tsps lemon juice
a little flat-leaved parsley and a few olives to garnish (optional)
- Cut eggplant lengthways, scoop out flesh and dice.
- Roast the halves in a medium-hot oven on an oiled baking tray.
- Meanwhile shred the cabbage, fry with soy sauce, hing and sugar in 1 tab olive oil
- Add the other tab olive oil and the diced aubergine to the pan with the cabbage. Simmer with the lid on until soft.
- Add tomatoes, salt, 1 tsp mixed spice, 1tsp paprika, 2tsps dried oregano/mixed herbs, lg pinch black pepper, 2 tsps lemon juice.
- Stuff the aubergines with the mixture and bake in a hot oven.
- Garnish with olives and chopped flat-leaved parsley.