Spring is in the air, but there are still some chilly evenings and grey days, and this creamy-textured soup is a warming antidote to them. It is relatively quick and easy, especially if you have a pressure cooker and a hand blender. I don't have a hand blender at the moment so I blended it in 2 jugfuls. This recipe serves 4-6, depending on portion size.
900g parsnip, cauliflower and new potatoes, in whatever proportions you want
1-2 tabs organic sunflower oil/ olive oil
2 litres water
1 dsp cumin seeds
seasalt to taste
1-2 tsps turmeric (haldi)
1 tsp hing
1 tab powdered coriander seeds
chilli powder to taste
- Dice the root vegetables and cut the cauliflower into small florets
- In your pressure cooker/ saucepan toast the cumin seeds in the oil until just beginning to brown then turn down the heat.
- Add the vegetables and coriander, mixing well.
- Add the water, salt and rest of the seasonings.
- Prressure cook until soft (usually 10-15 mins from scratch)
- Blend until smooth, then return to the pan.
- Adjust seasoning and gently reheat to serve.