Caribbean Rice and Peas with Spanish Sauce- vegan
This recipe will serve 5-6 people:
Sauce: 1 can chopped tomatoes
1-2 tsps smoked paprika
1 level tsp hing
seasalt to taste
Rice and Peas: 275 cooked black-eyed beans/ red kidney beans
1 1/2 cups uncooked brown basmati rice
3 cups water mixed with 1 heaped tsp yeast etract
1x 160ml can coconut cream
2 tabs desiccated coconut
seasalt, black pepper and dried thyme to taste
- First, cook the brown rice in the water and yeast extract.
- Start the sauce by putting all the ingredients in a small saucepan and simmering gently.
- When the rice is half cooked (about 15 minutes) add the seasonings and coconut cream. Top up with more water as and when necessary.
- When the rice is nearly completely cooked, add the beans and the desiccated coconut.
- Serve with the sauce on the top, accompanied by plenty of plain steamed vegetables for a nutritious dinner.