Chocolate Cake- vegan, sugar-free


I made this cake last Saturday as we had guests. I served it with Strawberry "Sweet Freedom" vegan icecream, which is also sugar-free. I used my usual cake recipe (see post 16.12.10), adding cocoa powder and replacing the sugar with half- and- half date syrup and "Sweet Freedom" syrup (made from fruit concentrate and carob). The icing and filling is the closest I could get to chocolate fudge icing without using powdered soya milk, sugar and/ or melted chocolate (none of which I had to hand at the time), and is satisfyingly rich and gooey: to equal amounts of date and "Sweet Freedom" syrups I added plenty of cocoa powder, a little soya milk and a dollop of tahini- I just kept adding and mixing until I was happy with the taste and texture. The chocolate beans on top are dairy-free and naturally coloured, but do contain cane sugar; if you are feeling particularly puritanical, you could always use a grated vegan, sugar- free chocolate bar such as the one you can get in Holland and Barrett (I forget the brand).
Those arbiters of taste and food critics extrordinaire, the kids, didn't even notice that there wasn't any "proper" sugar in this cake, so I thought it was worth sharing 

Comments

  1. wow...sounds scrumptiously tasty..
    first time here...love your space..
    very interesting posts..
    happy following you..
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment- feedback from you really helps me to decide what to post, and I love hearing from you- thanks :)

Popular Posts