Kartika month is here!

Kartika worship of Sri Radha Krishna in Vrindavana, India (image: photo.net)
Today marks the beginning of the last month of Caturmasya- known as Kartika, Damodara, or Urja Vrata.  ("Urja" refers to Srimati Radharani, Krishna's shakti or power/ energy). In this month we fast from sesame and mustard oil. We offer a ghee lamp to Krishna daily and sing the beautiful "Damodarastakam", remembering Krishna's childhood pastimes of stealing butter, herding the calves and cows and being bound by His mother. Here is a video of Damodarastakam I made last year, which should explain it more:


During Kartika month we celebrate Gopastami. when Krishna and His brother Balarama first herded the calves, then the cows, the appearance and disappearance days of many Vaisnavas, the appearance of Radha Kunda, Divali, Govardhan Puja (more about that nearer the time) and Tulasi-Shalagram Vivaha. Many devotees have gone to India to perform Vraja- Mandala Parikrama (sadly not me and my husband this year...) for the month. Today I will make my vrata for the month and try my best to keep it. Last night I got the temple room in my house ready, with extra flowers and a picture of Damodara-lila on the altar:


Hoping for the energy and determination to get up a bit earlier every day this month to do some special prayers..!

Comments

Popular Posts