New Potato and Broad Bean Salad with creamy dressing- vegan
|Garnish with sprigs of mint and radish roses- look here for how to make these|
|Makes an attractive dish for an al fresco lunch|
250-300g fresh broad beans (shelled weight)
1 kg new potatoes
a few sprigs of fresh mint and 3 or 4 radishes to garnish
For the dressing: (makes a bit more than you wil actually need, but it'a so nice you will want to put it with other salads too :) )
3 tabs light tahini
2 tabs extra- virgin olive oil
2 tabs yeast flakes (aka nutritional yeast)
1 tsp yellow mustard powder (such as Coleman's)
3-4 tabs lemon juice*
1/4 -1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
*Sorry- I forgot to note down exactly how much, so add it slowly and stop when it's tangy enough yet still creamy)
- Blanch the beans for 2 minutes in boiling water, then rinse with cold immediately. They will retain their crunchy texture somewhat, but not taste raw.
- Wash and prepare the potatoes. Don't peel them; the thin skill will most likely peel off as you wash them anyway. Very small potatoes can be left whole. Try to get them a uniform size, as you don't want some to be cook soft while others are hard in the centre. (I know because I've done this!)
- Steam the potatoes in a minimal amount of water, so that it all gets absorbed and they slip off a knife when cooked through.
- Meanwhile, Make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together with a balloon whisk.
- When the potatoes are cooked, rinse them in cold water.
- Mix the potatoes and beans together in a bowl with about 1/2 -2/3 of the dressing (keep the rest in the fridge for later).
- Garnish with mint sprigs and radish roses, and there you go...