Yeast-Free Pizza- vegan
|Yeast-free vegan pizza, topped with grilled tofu and fresh basil|
|You can see the soda bread crust in this picture, and the fresh tomato sauce flecked with tasty nutritional yeast|
- Halve or quarter the tomatoes according to size.
- Whizz them in a blender or food processor until liquid. (No need to de-seed or skin if you break them down like this.)
- Pour into a sturdy saucepan and add the salt, bay leaves and compound hing.
- Bring to the boil and reduce to a really thick puree-like sauce, stirring from time to time. (This took me around an hour- don't be tempted to take shortcuts as a runny sauce will just make the base go soggy...)
- Meanwhile, make the base:
- In a large bowl, rub the oil into all the other ingredients.
- Mix in enough water to give you a soft but not too sticky dough.
- Place on an oiled baking tray and roll to a thickness of just under 1cm using a floured rolling pin.
- Bake for 10-15 mins in an oven preheated to 180C, until just starting to turn golden on top. (Do not overcook; in fact, a thinner crust doesn't need pre-cooking at all.)
- Spread the tomato sauce onto the base and sprinkle the yeast flakes over it.
- Pile on the veggies; be sure to slice them thinly so that they cook through.
- Add the tofu slices and olives, if using.
- Sprinkle with black pepper and oregano.
- Bake at 180-200C for about 15 minutes, or until the veggies are cooked. (Don't let the tofu get too dry and curly at the edges...)
- Garnish with sprigs of fresh basil before serving.