Gluten Free Vegan Pizza
|This pizza is light and easy on the stomach. It goes well with a selection of salads|
(Makes a large pizza- feeds about 5 perhaps)
700g potato, diced but not peeled
100g buckwheat flour
200g fine yellow cornmeal
3 tsps gluten-free baking powder (Such as Allergycare, Barkat or Dove's Farm brands)
50ml extra-virgin olive oil
about 75ml water
- Steam and mash the potato- don't add any liquid. Let it sit to dry out as much as possible.
- Mix the cornmeal and buckwheat with the potato, and add the salt and baking powder.
- Rub in the oil.
- Mix to a cookie dough-like consistency with the water. Add just enough so that it holds together.
- Press onto an oiled baking sheet, about 1cm thick, or just under. I used a spatula to press it down evenly.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 200C before adding the toppings and heating up. This ensures the dough is cooked through and a little brown on the top, just to seal it and prevent sogginess.
- Add your toppings- I used sauce made from 250ml passata, squares of grilled marinated tofu,sweetcorn, thin slices of roasted pumpkin and some small broccoli florets. You could also use yeast flakes, tahini, olives, yellow or red cherry tomatoes, roasted aubergine strips, peppers or courgettes. I like to add generous sprinklings of dried oregano and coarse black pepper too.
- Replace in the oven until heated through.