Eggless "Aumlette"- vegan and gluten free
|"Aumlette", a vegan cheese omelette: The addition of ground flax seeds to the batter really enhances the flavour and texture|
|Delicious folded in half and served with a green salad! You can use any veg you like for the filling: This time we used broccoli, orange peppers, coriander and cherry tomatoes with our vegan "cheese".|
(Makes 4 or 5, depending on the thickness)
300g gram flour
2 flax eggs (see this month's "How-To")
seasalt to taste
black pepper to taste
turmeric to taste- just enough to create an attractive yellow colour
Some kind of protein like tofu "cheese" or a nut cheese (optional)
olive oil for frying
a selection of chopped vegetables fresh coriander, olives, herbs etc. ( we used peppers, coriander/ cilantro/dhaniya, broccoli and cherry tomatoes.)
- Prepare the fillings, lightly steaming hard vegetables such as potatoes or broccoli first.
- Meanwhile, mix the gram flour and seasonings in a large shallow bowl. The turmeric gives it an attractive yellow colour.
- Add the water and mix well with a balloon whisk.
- Whisk in the flax eggs.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and drop in 1/4 of the mixture at a time. As with regular pancakes, make sure it does not stick.
- Add the toppings and cook over a medium to high heat until bottom is cooked and the top is just set. (You will know because the edges will look brown underneath when you lift them up and the whole thing should slide in the pan.)
- Put the pan under a preheated grill until the toppings are cooked.
- Slide carefully onto a plate, either as a circle or flipped in half like a traditional omelette.