|Moroccan aubergine escalope is a spicy side dish that works well with a green salad|
We bought some lovely aubergines at our local produce market last week, and we really wanted to do something a bit different with them this time. We often eat them grilled in olive oil, as part of a curry or pureed with tahini as a dip. This time we were after a different texture to add to their soft juiciness so we went for coating them in spiced cornmeal. We served the escalopes with gluten free pasta in a fresh tomato sauce, a green salad and some toasted almonds and cashews to make a complete meal of it. A lighter meal (perfect for a Summer lunch ) would be to serve them with hummus, olives and salad.
- Wash and slice the aubergines longditudinally, 4-5mm thick.
- Steam them until just tender (not soggy, as it's hard to stop them falling apart if they get to that stage), and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine the cornmeal, salt and spices in a shallow dish and whisk up your chosen batter.
- Take each slice of aubergine, dip in the batter and coat carefully in the spice and cornmeal mixture.
- Lay the slices carefully on a well-oiled baking sheet and grill at medium-high temperature on both sides until starting to brown. Serve hot!