Asparagus Tart- vegan
|Celebrate Spring with the season's delicacies...|
We couldn't resist getting a bunch of asparagus from the market this week; it's a luxury, but now it's peak season and it's at it's succulent best- so tempting! But decent asparagus is not cheap so how to make the one bunch go round 6 or 7 people? - Make a vegan twist on the traditional asparagus tart, that's how! Attractive and simple to make with either puff or shortcrust pastry, this tart makes a great picnic or lunchbox addition, or you could make it a main course like we did and serve it with minted steamed new potatoes and steamed or braised veg such as purple sprouting. I've never seen a dinner so quickly eaten up with no fuss :)
|I couldn't resist adding some cherry tomatoes and olives.|
- Prepare and steam the asparagus, reserving any liquid to add to the batter in place of plain water(you get more vits that way).
- Make the pastry, line oiled flan tins/ dishes and blind- bake for 10 minutes or so at 200C.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the batter (adding chopped fresh herbs of you like) and make the almond parmesan.
- To assemble the tart, fill the cases with the batter then arrange the asparagus, tomatoes and olives as shown on the pictures. Add a liberal sprinkling of almond parmesan.
- Bake for about 15-20 mins in an oven preheated to 200C, until the filling has set.
|The almond parmesan sprinkles add extra flavour and texture.|