|The darker flecks are the spices|
- First stir-fry the cabbage and ginger in another pan until soft; add the soy sauce, hing and sugar and mix well. (This should now be pungent enough to do the job of onions.)
- Now put the squash in a pan with just about enough water to cover it, and boil until soft. *This is the part of the recipe when you can go and roast some veggies, put a pot of rice on, etc.
- Mash the squash coarsely in the pan of water- should be easy if it is thoroughly cooked.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan and bring to a simmer. Use a hand blender to get a smooth, velvety texture.
- This soup looks great garnished with a little coriander leaf/ flat-leaved parsley, or toasted coconut shavings. Or even top with steamed shredded kale, as we did the second time I made this.