2013 Christmas Collection: Entrees: Nut Roast, Walnut and Red Pepper Roast, Seitan Wellington
|A festive plateful of veggies, nut roast and gravy...|
275g almonds, ground
75g porridge oats
300g of fairly juicy grated veg (we used pumpkin, but you could try sweet potato, peppers, courgettes etc.)
1 1/2 tsps seasalt
1/2 tsp compound hing (omit if you don't like it or can't get it)
1 tsp coarse black pepper
1 tsp paprika
2 heaped tsps dried thyme
1 tab soy sauce
2 fresh tomatoes, sliced
- Mix the nuts and seasonings together in a large bowl (not the soy sauce yet).
- Mix in the grated veg thoroughly- you may have to use your hands for this!
- Add the soy sauce and passata
- Add the oats gradually, stopping if you think the mixture is getting too dry; it should hold together when squeezed.
- Press into either a dampened square silicone mould or the equivalent greased and lined tin; I didn't use a loaf tin, preferring to make it shallower to get an even bake.
- Top with thin slices of fresh tomato. They help keep the whole thing moist.
- Bake in the centre of an oven pre-heated to 200C, for 25-30 minutes. until cooked through and slightly brown on top (like in the picture).
- For the sauce, I simply made a roux from olive oil and plain white flour over a gentle heat, added some soy sauce and the rest of the passata from the carton then whisked in water until I got a thick pouring consistency.