Regular and "Blue" Quick Cashew Hard Cheeses- raw (ish), vegan
|This tangy "blue cheese" is delicious with crackers!|
|The plainer version makes good sandwiches too.|
Before we go any further, a word about these cheeses' rawness; cashews are actually heat treated as part of processing, so unless it says raw on the packet, they are not strictly raw. I guess the term "uncooked" would be more accurate for the finished product. the plain cheese was just a combo of ground cashews, yeast flakes, salt and lemon juice mixed to a dough-like texture and then shaped and rolled in paprika. It hardens up to a sliceable consistency after a short time in the fridge. For the "blue" version, I added fermented black beans (available in tubs from Chinese groceries), and wrote down the recipe:
2 tabs black beans (see above)
2 tabs yeast flakes( aka nutritional yeast)
5 tabs lemon juice
sweet red paprika for coating
- First, grind the cashews finely and set aside.
- Grind the black beans and mix to a smooth "dough" using 1 tab water.
- Make a dough-like ball with the ground cashews, yeast flakes and lemon juice.
- Carefully knead in the black beans to the cashew mixture so that it's marbled.
- Shape and coat with paprika. Leave covered in the fridge to harden up.