Baisen Halva with Flax- Indian-inspired vegan sweet
|This is a great way to round off an Indian meal!|
- Set the gour to melt in a small but sturdy pan on a low heat.
- Meanwhile, toast the baisen in a larger, thick-bottomed pan. This is the bit you can't afford to mess up: KEEP THE FLOUR MOVING or it will burn and you'll have to start all over again. When you can smell the flour toasting, add the oil and keep stirring fast until the mixture has darkened a shade.(But not too much or it will taste scorched. Not enough, and it will taste too beany).
- Remove from the heat and stir in the flax, gour and cardamom.
- Lastly, mix in the coconut milk and heat very gently, stirring all the while, until the mixture starts to pull away from the sides and bottom of the pan. I found this happened almost instantaneously.
- Remove from heat and wait until cool enough to handle.
- Press down using wet hands or a wet spatula, into a dish lined with baking parchment/ greaseproof paper. Sprinkle with melon seeds or slivered nuts and cut into diamond shapes when they have cooled down and firmed up a bit.