"Free-from" buckwheat cookies- vegan and suitable for Ekadasi
|These gluten-free cookies are delicious at tea time...|
150g gour, in pieces (boiled sugar cane juice containing iron and other minerals as well as sucrose and glucose)
150g coconut oil
300g buckwheat flour
1 tsp almond essence
flaked almonds for sprinkling
- Melt the oil and gour gently in a heavy-bottomed pan. They will not mix together, so remove from the heat when both are liquid.
- While the oil and gour are still warm, add the almond essence, stirring well.
- Straight away stir in the buckwheat flour until a doughy consistency is achieved. Depending on the brand of flour, you might need to add more or less of it to prevent the mixture becoming too dry or too sticky.
- Form the cookie dough into a log shape and cut into rounds about 1cm thick.
- Place the slices on a well-oiled baking sheet and scatter with the flaked almonds.
- Press the cookies down with a spatula until about half their original thickness.
- Bake in the centre of an oven preheated to 200C, but turn it down to 180C as soon as you put the cookies in.
- Bake for about 10 minutes; watch carefully, as oven timings and temperatures vary, and you don't want to over-brown them.
- When they are done, remove from the oven but do not attempt to take them off the baking sheet until they have cooled, or they will break. Once cooled, they are stronger, but still a little bit more delicate than regular wheat flour cookies, so treat them gently!