|Sort of a crustless flan or savoury clafoutis... but tastes good, whatever it is!|
1 cup (250ml) gram (aka chickpea/ garbanzo/ baisen) flour
1 tsp seasalt
1 tsp turmeric (haldi)
1/2 tsp compound hing* *check it is made with rice flour not wheat flour if you are using this.
1 tsp each dried basil and oregano
a pinch of coarse black pepper
1 tsp gluten free baking powder (such as Dove's Farm/ Barkat brands)
350ml soya milk
12 black olives, stoned and halved
1/2 a bell green pepper, chopped finely
150-250g (depends on size) cherry or cherry plum tomatoes, halved. (If some or all of them are yellow, you can omit the turmeric to show their colour off.)
- Saute the bell pepper until soft and set aside.
- Whisk together all the ingredients in a large bowl except the gluten free baking powder, gradually adding the soya milk last to avoid lumps.
- Stir in the gluten free baking powder.
- Pour into a damp silicone mould or oiled shallow heatproof dish and place the tomatoes in the batter, cut side downwards so as to give a studded effect. If they are very small you will have to make sure your dish is large so the batter is not so deep that it covers them.
- Bake for about 15 minutes in an oven preheated to 200C until set but not overcooked on top. (Test with a skewer.)