Rhubarb Crumble Cake (vegan) from "The Book of Egg Free Cakes"- "From Cookbook" Event
|Check out my well-thumbed copy!|
100g vegan margarine
150g caster sugar
4tsps vanilla sugar/ 1 tsp vanilla essence
200g plain flour
4 tsps baking powder
200ml soya milk
2 cups (1 cup=250ml) rhubarb, cut into pieces 1.5cm long
50g caster sugar
25g vegan margarine
50g chopped almonds
- Grease and flour a 25cm (10") springform cake tin, and preheat your oven to 180C.
- Cream the margarine and sugar together. Add vanilla.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder.
- Mix in the milk and the margarine mixture gradually.
- Turn into the prepared tin and cover with the rhubarb pieces.
- For the topping, mix the flour, sugar and margarine together and crumble it on top of the rhubarb. Sprinkle with chopped almonds.
- Bake for about 45 minutes and allow to cool for about 20 minutes before removing it from the tin.
- Make the crumble topping and chop the almonds before you make the cake batter. That way you can get the cake together and in the oven faster for a perfect rise.
- We always use unrefined demerara sugar instead of caster sugar, as cane sugars are usually refined using a bone charcoal filtration system (Yuck! Not even vegetarian, let alone vegan!)
- We use wholemeal flour for the crumble topping, and often for the rest of the cake.
- You can use apple instead of rhubarb if you prefer, and sprinkle cinnamon on top.