I'd like to introduce you to our daughter Radha, who has a blog over on Tumblr (not about cooking though). As well as being a budding artist and writer, she is also, on the rare occasions when she graces the kitchen with her presence, pretty amazing at cookery. Like all the family, she is pure veg (no meat, fish or eggs) but is not vegan like me and my husband. Consequently, her recipe contains milk and butter, but is easily vegan-ised, and so she has added a vegan version too (in italics). The other kids declared her "The next Nigella, only healthier" after tasting these brownies! We hope you enjoy them too, so without further ado here is the recipe:
150g butter/ vegan marg
200g light brown sugar
100g muscovado sugar
75g cocoa powder
150g plain white flour with 1 tsp bicarb
a pinch of salt
1 tsp almond extract
2 tsps egg replacer (we use Orgran No Egg in our house)
Milk/ plant milk for mixing
Cookies for topping, broken into large chunks
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Melt butter and stir in sugar over low heat.
- Mix in flour and bicarb.
- Add No Egg and almond essence.
- Stir in enough milk to make the mixture dropping consistency.
- Turn into a prepared tin, scatter the top with cookie pieces and bake for 20-25 mins. The cake tester will come out with gooey mixture on but they will be cooked on top- that's what you want.
- Dust with icing sugar (Silver Spoon brand is veggie and vegan-friendly- white cane sugars aren't because of the bone charcoal used in processing them).