Shahi Tofu- vegan, gluten free
|Shahi tofu is equally good with rice or chapattis- but don't forget to add plenty of veggies/ salad for a balanced meal!|
Recipe serves 5:
tofu made with 3l soya milk, pressed until firm then cubed (or about 400g firm tofu)
1/2 cup cashews, ground as finely as possible
400g fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp powdered ginger (or the equivalent in grated fresh ginger- I had run out or I would have used this)
a pinch-1/2 tsp chilli powder, according to your taste (you can always add minced fresh chillis too if you like)
2 tabs coconut oil
2 bay leaves
1 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tabs powdered coriander
1/2 tsp turmeric
a pinch of compound hing
2 tsps cumin seeds
1/2 cup soya yoghurt (I used a home made one using kefir grains as the starter)
1 tsp garam masala
1 1/2 tsps seasalt (or to your taste)
- Puree the tomatoes ginger and chilli in a blender or food processor.
- Temper all the remaining spices in the oil apart from the garam masala, add the tomato mixture, the salt and bring to a simmer.
- While it is simmering, grill the tofu cubes in a minimal amount of oil, turning from time to time, until mostly golden- brown but not tough; this will help to prevent them falling to pieces when you add them to the sauce.
- Add the ground cashews, the garam masala and the yoghurt.
- Finally, carefully add the tofu pieces, warm thoroughly, avoiding stirring if you can, and serve hot. I have seen versions of this garnished with chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves, which I probably would have done had I happened to have any in the fridge.