- Oreos (in the UK): I have heard that US Oreos are not vegan, but they certainly are over here! And Poundland are currently offering 2 packets for £1...
- Bourbon biscuits: Most brands are vegan (check the labels just in case)
- Jammie Dodgers: Hurray! This sticky, chewy childhood favourite is STILL on the menu!
- Raspberry Ruffles: Available as bars or as bags of wrapped sweets, these somewhat sickly dark chocolate coated raspberry-coconut fondants are a throwback to the 70s, when every theatre foyer sold them. Now they only seem to be available in Poundland, but it's good to see they're still going strong.
- Cream Crackers: Essential for that home made artisan vegan cheese and chutney, or with Marmite when you don't fancy anything else. Who can imagine Christmas without these turning up at some point in the proceedings?
- Ritz crackers: See above, only don't put Marmite on them.
- Jus-Rol puff pastry: A blessing for busy cooks, or those of us who are patisserie-ly challenged. Find it chilled in supermarkets, as a roll or square sheets.
- Fruit Factory Fruit Hearts/ Stars: Available in Poundland or supermarkets, they make great cake or dessert decorations and good subs for jelly sweets.
- Betty Crocker Bacos: Wonderful salad sprinkles, just like in Pizza Hut...
- Linda Mac sausages: Cheap, quick and fantastic warm in a roll with lashings of ketchup.
- About Us
- What is Bhakti Yoga?
- The Yogi Vegetarian Blog Policies and Creative Commons Licence
- Ingredient of the Month
- Sugar Free Recipe Links
- Raw/ dehydrator recipes
- Gluten free/ wheat free recipes
- Ekadasi Recipes
- Vegan on a Budget Blog
- Vegan Nutrition
- Gluten Free Recipes
- Cook's Notes, Conversions and Equipment
Sunday, 22 June 2014
Ten Common Processed Foods that are Vegan
Vegans and vegetarians are often thought of as eating strange foods that no one's ever heard of, and while it's true that we probably eat more of a variety of foodstuffs than "omnivores", there are some well-known processed foods to be found in many peoples' kitchen cupboards that you might be surprised to know are actually vegan, containing no animal derived ingredients at all. Now we all know it's not a good idea to binge on junk food every day, but for the odd treat, or to show "new" or would-be young veggies/ vegans that they can still have some old favourites and fun foods, the foods on this list could prove very useful. Take a look and see if any of these foods surprise you!
Do YOU have any favourite vegan convenience/ junk foods to confess??