Fiery Green Tomato, Lemon and Chilli Chutney
|This might be just the ticket to liven up your Christmas cheeseboard, vegan or otherwise...|
150g gour or unrefined brown sugar
1 tab extra virgin olive oil
2 tabs lexia raisins
2 tsps seasalt
1 lemon, sliced into very thin wedges
1 tab cumin seeds
1x5cm cinnamon quill
1 tsp hing
- Mince the chillis and stir into the hot oil with the cumin seeds just until the seeds start to toast.
- Add the green tomatoes (roughly chopped), the cinnamon, and the lemon slices.
- Lower the heat, adding a splash of water if necessary, and cook with the lid on until the tomatoes are soft and their juice is coming out.
- Now add the gour/ brown sugar, the salt and the raisins to the pan. Stir it in until it has melted/ dissolved and bring to the boil.
- Continue to boil gently, stirring from time to time to prevent scorching. After a few minutes, a little of the chutney will hold together when dropped into cold water and it's ready to bottle in a sterilized jar(s). You can remove the cinnamon now if you like.
- Use with caution!
rhubarb chilli chutney, green tomato jam, plum chutney