Pesto and Pasta- Perfect Partners vegan
|Pesto is a winner with any kind of pasta- shown here with wholewheat spaghetti|
Here are two recipes for pesto, both of which happen to be vegan as well. Now that Summer is in full swing, who wants to spend ages in the kitchen making complicated sauces and suchlike? Certainly not us- we'd much rather be outdoors doing some gardening or relaxing with the family, sipping on cool drinks. Yet we still want -and need- to eat well, and this is where pasta dishes come in as a great solution.
|Get hold of some vegan "parmesan" or make your own from almonds and nutritional yeast.|
- Mix all the ingredients together
- Add to a cooked and drained 500g-packet of wholewheat spaghetti, mixing well.
- I served it with steamed mixed veg in a tomato and basil sauce.
- If you don't want to use pasta I'm sure it would be great with spaghetti squash as a low-carb alternative.
- Grind the pine nuts, leaving some whole. (Then you get little bites of intense pine-nutty flavour in your pesto).
- Put them in a bowl with the "Parmesan".
- Whizz up the fresh basil with the olive oil in a blender until it forms an oily paste.
- Add the blended mixture to the bowl with the pine nut mixture.
- Mix in the salt, pepper, dried basil and hing.
- You can serve this with pasta, hot or cold, or as a salad dressing.
This post also goes to Jagruti's event, "My Bowl of Pasta" over at: